- This level occupies the map slot MAP02. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:MAP02.
MAP02: Theta Base is the second map of Mars War by Nathan Lineback. It uses a MIDI conversion of the tracker module "4mat."
While in version 3, the red key door has been removed and changed to door that only entered without red card. Version 3.01 has a modified instruments for module music "4mat" to make them less annoying.
Once you secure the shuttle, your first stop is Theta Base. This is where all the cool tech comes from. They supposedly have developed a plasma rifle that is powered by common energy cells, and you need to get it!
You had many friends at Theta base, your last contact with them was hours ago and there has been no response since. You don't really want to think about what has happened to them, and it won't be any fun searching the base. But you know they had all kinds of goodies stashed away that might help you.
- Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
- In the storage room at the southwest of the base, there is a huge pile of small crates. Shooting this pile with any impact weapon will cause the pile to rise into the ceiling, revealing a partially open door. Open this door all the way and head down the passage to find a room with an imp (two imps on skill 3 or higher) and two medikits. At either side of the room are computer monitors. Press on the northern one to open a compartment with nine health bonuses. (sector 165)
- In the same room, push the monitors to the west to find nine more health bonuses. (sector 174)
- Across from secret #2, open the monitors at the east to find nine more health bonuses. (sector 180)
Routes and tricks
Red key card has been removed in version 3 or later.
The current records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are (not updated to reflect release):
|UV max||03:41||Rich Sham||2003-10-25||mw-lmps.zip|||
|Monsters||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Powerups||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Weapons||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Ammunition||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Keys||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Red cards (only affected in version 2)||1||1||1|