The Lightning Gun is an energy firearm that disperses a constant stream of electricity to the target.
The Lightning Gun can be unlocked in the multiplayer at level 14. The player spawns with 150 ammo (250 is the max ammo). The weapon features two fire modes:
- Primary Fire - Short range energy weapon that fires a constant stream of electricity. The lightning does approximately 8 damage.
- Weapon Mod - Creates an electrified field upon hitting a surface that can damage multiple targets. The lightning does approximately 5 damage.
- The appearance of the Lightning gun in Doom (2016) is a possible allusion to the Thunderbolt from Quake (And extension, Q3's Lightning Gun), and how Quake II and Quake 3 Arena had the BFG10k.
- The Lightning Gun was originally considered for Singleplayer (due to the mesh lacking the MP_ tag used for MP only weapons) and was called the "Arc Wielder".
- According to The Art of DOOM, the Lightning Gun, known then as the "ARC Cannon", was conceived in-lore as a counterpart to the Plasma Rifle and based on research into Argent conductivity. It is stated to utilize modulation of the plasma current to achieve a sustained linear stream of discharge which is destructive to biological forms. The book also gives an in-universe explanation as to its restriction to multiplayer, commenting of the weapon's limited production.