DoomRL (or Doom, the Roguelike) is a text-based, or graphical reincarnation of Doom for DOS and Windows, written in Free Pascal by Kornel Kisielewicz. The game has received a takedown notice from ZeniMax.
DoomRL is consistent with other roguelike games. It is turn-based and features a level system with traits. The graphics are formed entirely of ASCII characters. Being based on Doom, it is more fast-paced than normal roguelike games, and relies heavily on ranged combat as opposed to melee fighting. It ranges on the simpler end of the roguelike spectrum, with only limited inventory, one item per tile, etc., as opposed to the often extreme intricacy of other roguelikes.
As of version 0.9.8(beta), it sports the entire Doom soundset and music library, with support for optional high-quality MP3s (being downloadable from an external webpage), a character log for the many dead characters the player will accrue, and a dodge system.
It attempts to bring the atmosphere of Doom into the roguelike format. Every monster has an image rendered in ASCII art, and blood and bodies fly everywhere, especially with more powerful weapons like the rocket launcher. Walls become bloodstained, and barrels explode in large, dangerous chains.
- 19.03.2013 - version 0.9.9.7 (current release)
- 28.02.2012 - version 0.9.9.6 (adds graphics to DOOMRL)
- 04.01.2012 - version 0.9.9.5 (overbugged)
- 01.09.2011 - version 0.9.9.4
- 11.02.2011 - Version 0.9.9.2
- 11.03.2010 - Version 0.9.9.1
- 16.10.2009 - Version 0.9.9
- 23.04.2008 - Version 0.9.8.10
- 14.01.2008 - Version 0.9.8.9
- 26.12.2007 - Version 0.9.8.8B (Bugfix release)
- 22.12.2007 - Version 0.9.8.8
- 02.05.2007 - Version 0.9.8.7
- 26.11.2006 - Version 0.9.8.5
- 28.04.2005 - Version 0.9.8 (Sounds are added)
- 25.02.2005 - Version 0.9.7 is (Now distributed in a Windows format along with DOS)
- 16.01.2005 - Version 0.9.6
- 01.01.2005 - Version 0.9.5
- 20.11.2004 - Version 0.9.1
- 06.08.2003 - Version 0.9.0
- 15.11.2002 - Version 0.8.3
- 12.11.2002 - Version 0.8.2
- 10.11.2002 - Version 0.8.1
- 08.11.2002 - Version 0.8 (The first public release)
- ↑ 2016-12-02, Fan-Made Doom Game Receives Legal Notice From Doom's Parent Company. GameSpot, accessed on 2016-12-04